Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Welcome to the Homestead

The foyer. The first impression your home makes upon guests when they walk through the front door. So it had better be a good one right? In my opinion that means clean and clutter free (that's how I like my whole house, but let's be real, that hardly ever happens!).


When looking through house plans and choosing our new home I didn't want a foyer space. I was craving an open floor plan and to me that didn't include a formal foyer. However if this house building process has taught me nothing else it has taught me compromise.

So I have a long narrow foyer. Now what?


Thankfully our plans had a small niche in one of the walls. Our builder asked me if I wanted to take it out and I didn't hesitate to tell him "no way". I needed something to give that boring space character. As luck would have it, I purchased a small table at Scott Antique Market a few years back and it fits the niche like it was made for it.


I was coveting a lantern chandelier from Restoration Hardware, but Mr Peach wasn't letting me budget $600 for it. So I ended up with a little number from City Electric and it turned out just as charming for less than a third of the price.


Wanting character and channeling my inner Joanna Gaines I insisted the space be planked in ship lap. If it was going no where else in the house I was determined to have ship lap in the foyer (and hall bath, but that's a post for another day). Thankfully my wish was granted.

Now I have a nice, big empty wall of nothing but ship lap to welcome guests into our home. I'm debating on adding some kind of gallery artwork to it, but for now I'm just basking in the glow of ship lap.


The front door needed a little work when we moved in. Our painters didn't get the stain quite the shade I wanted. Although it looks like real wood, it's actually a fiberglass door and therefore has to be  stained with a gel stain. I've stained real wood multiple times, it's such an easy process. Gel stain on the other hand is a bit trickier and not a medium I would want to work with every day. But after a couple more coats I got the door looking the color I was wanting (matching the natural tone of the cedar columns on the front porch).


It's not a large space, but it has big importance on the presentation of the home. It's light and bright, and if I have to have a foyer I guess that this one will do ;).

Welcome to our home.







Blessings,
the Crunchy Peach








No comments:

Post a Comment